Trial Attorney Joshua Silverman Can Help You Obtain the Compensation You Deserve
I want to make it expensive for nursing homes to provide bad care!
Josh Silverman founded the Silverman Law Firm in January 2013. He was previously a partner at Williamson Petty LC (previously called Williamson & Lavecchia, LC). Being a solo practitioner gives Josh the flexibility to carefully select his cases and to give each client individualized attention through all aspects of the case from the initial interview through trial.
Josh is a member of the American Association for Justice's Nursing Home Litigation Group. He serves on the Board of Governor's for the Virginia Trial Lawyer's Association and he is the past President of the Long Term Care Litigation Section. Josh is a former editor of The Journal which is published by the Virginia Trial Lawyer's Association and he has published several articles in The Journal.
Josh is an "AV" rated lawyer which is the highest peer review rating awarded by the Martindale-Hubbell attorney listing service. An "AV" rating identifies a lawyer with very high to preeminent legal ability and very high ethical standards as established by confidential opinions from other lawyers and judges. Additionally, Josh is recognized in Virginia Super Lawyers.
Contributing to the community is an important part of his practice. Josh regularly volunteers his time at the Virginia Legal Aid Society and provides pro-bono representation as needed for the Legal Information Network for Cancer. Josh has lectured to thousands of Richmond, Virginia high school students regarding the legal consequences of drunk driving. Additionally, Silverman Law Firm sponsors community events such as Climb to Conquer Cancer which supports the Massey Cancer Center and the Heart of Virginia Bike Festival which supports the Brain Injury Association of Virginia and Bikes for Kids.
- Medical Malpractice
- Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Assisted Living Abuse and Neglect
- Products Liability
- Personal Injury
- Automobile and Trucking Accidents
Examples of Types of Cases Litigated:
- Automobile accidents
- Medication errors in hospitals and nursing homes
- Retained surgical sponges
- Pressure sores in hospitals and nursing homes
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Broken leg in a nursing home
- Hypothermia in an assisted living facility
- Pharmaceutical negligence
- Defective surgical equipment
- Failure to diagnose and treat cancer
- Emergency room negligence
- Defective airbags
- Drunk driving injuries
- Case Western Reserve University Law School, Cleveland, OH, 1998
- American University, Washington, DC, 1995 B.A. International Studies
Professional Honors & Activities
- Eagle Scout, 1990
- Listed in Virginia SuperLawyers
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell (highest rating)
- Avvo rated 10.0
Pro Bono Activities:
- Volunteer for Legal Aid of Central Virginia
- Legal Information Network for Cancer
- Centra Health, Inc. v. Mullins, 277 Va. 59, 670 S.E.2d 708 (2009) (amicus curiae)
- Riverside Hospital, Inc. v. Johnson , 272 Va. 518, 636 S.E.2d 416 (2006) (amicus curiae)
- Chandler v. Graffeo, 268 Va. 673, 604 S.E.2d 1 (2004) (amicus curiae brief)
- Bates v. Commonwealth of Virginia, 267 Va. 387, 593 S.E.2d 250 (2004) (amicus curiae brief)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association:
- Board of Governors (2004-present)
- Chair of the the Long Term Litigation Section (2014-2015)
- Chair of Continuing Legal Education Committee (2012-2013)
- Co-Chair of Professionalism and Legal Ethics Committee (2011-2012)
- Chair of Judicial Relations Committee (2009-2011)
- Co-chairman of Amicus Committee (2007-2009)
- Co-chair of Membership Committee (2006-2007)
- President of the Young Trial Lawyers Section (2005-2006)
- Chair of Publications Committee (2005-2006)
- American Association for Justice
- Nursing Home Litigation Group (2004-present),
- American Bar Association
- National Consumer Voice for Quality Long Term Care
- Medical Malpractice Legislative Update, JOURNAL OF THE VIRGINIA TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION, Winter 2005.
- Spoliation of Evidence: Rights and Remedies, JOURNAL OF THE VIRGINIA TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION, Fall 2004, Vol. 16, No. 4, pg. 10.
- Reliance Update, JOURNAL OF THE VIRGINIA TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION, Spring 2003, Vol. 15, No. 2, pg. 2.
- The Defendant’s Insurance Company is Insolvent: What Remains of the Plaintiff’s Claim?, JOURNAL OF THE VIRGINIA TRIAL LAWYERS ASSOCIATION, Fall 2001, Vol. 13, No. 4, pg. 8.
- 8th Annual Wound Care Symposium: Mid Atlantic Wound Care Conference: “Pressure Sores and the Law”, October 15, 1999. (Co-authored with Thomas W. Williamson, Jr., Presented by Thomas W. Williamson, Jr.)
- VTLA Convention, "Piercing the Armor: Approaches to Managed Care Liability," March 25, 1999. (Co-authored with Thomas W. Williamson, Jr., Presented by Thomas W. Williamson, Jr.)
Download a Publication:
- Centra Health v. Mullins - amicus curiae brief
- Riverside Hospital v. Johnson
- Medical Malpractice Legislation Update
About our Lawyers
Court Opinions in Cases of our Lawyers
- Centra Health Inc. t/a Lynchburg General Hospital v. Mullins
- Riverside Hospital v. Johnson (2006)
- Chandler v. Graffeo (Virginia Supreme Court 2004)
- Bates v. Commonwealth of Virginia
- Court Order Permitting Plaintiffs to Pursue Personal Injury and Wrongful Death Claims Arising Out of a Fall in a Hospital
- Order Compelling a Podiatrist to Pay Attorneys Fees for Failing to Produce Medical Records
Presentations & Speeches
- "Ethics for the Trial Lawyer," Topics: Ethical Considerations in Settlement Negotiations and Technology in Law Practices; Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, September 18, 2016.
- "Standing on Ethical Ground," NBI Seminar, Richmond, Virginia, August 26, 206.
- "Damages in Personal Injury Cases," NBI Seminar, Richmond, Virginia. August 26, 2016.
- "ERISA Liens: Montanile & Our Ethical Obligations," Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, April 20, 2016.
- Ethics for the Trial Lawyer - Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, October 20, 2015.
- "Treatment of Medical Liens," NBI Seminar, Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 15, 2011.
- "Subrogation Liens in Detail," NBI Seminar, Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 15, 2011.
- "Ethics," NBI Seminar, Virginia Beach, Virginia, September 15, 2011.
- "Informal Discovery," VTLA Long Term Care CLE, Richmond, Virginia, February 26, 2010.
- "Certificates of Merit," VTLA Long Term Care CLE, Richmond, Virginia, February 26, 2010.
- "Beyond the Obvious: Security IS your Business," Retail Merchants Association, Richmond, Virginia, April 28, 2009.
- "Legal Rights and Remedies for Nursing Home Residents" TRIAD Seminar, Madison, Virginia, March 19, 2009.
- "How Discovery is Being Impacted By Case Law and Rule Change," Paralegal Litigation Seminar, Richmond, Virginia, May 2008.
- "Project Management Skills - Best Practices to Maximize Opportunities and Contain Costs," Paralegal Litigation Seminar, Richmond, Virginia, May 2008.
- “Plaintiff’s Personal Injury: Practice Tips and Application.” Richmond, Va. October 23, 2007.
- "Plaintiff's Personal Injury From Start to Finish" (presented Statutes that Affect Liability Evaluation and Ethical Considerations for the Plaintiff's Attorney). Richmond, Va. June 20, 2006 and Norfolk, Va. June 29, 2006.
- Virginia Road To Justice - Drunk driving prevention program presented to over 1000 high school students in central Virginia.
By opening the Silverman Law Firm, I am able to carefully select cases where I can provide clients my undivided, individualized attention.Josh Silverman